Dear underclassmen:
Those of you that strive to be popular and accepted… Don't. It is a waste of time and energy that could be best focused on something important. Don't be ashamed of who you are and where you come from.
In order to justify that comment, I must tell you that this year has been nothing short of an adventure for me. I am new to the school this year and knew no one when classes began. The reason that I am blatantly stating how important it is to be comfortable with yourself is because when the year began I was not and it was very difficult of me to fit in. However, as the first few months of the year went by, I made it my personal mission to meet new people and develop a social life… surprisingly, it worked. I randomly went at sat at a lunch table and have been sitting at the same one (with the same people) ever since.
As high school students I think that the junior high cliques that still exist are ridiculous. There are select groups of people at Zeeland that think they can decide how everyone else should feel about himself or herself. Well I am here to say that is bunk. To you underclassmen that admire the "cool" seniors, don't, my guess is that in a few years they will be working the night shift at Wal-Mart.
In a few years, the "hot" girl that every one wants to be or be with will end up with the same amount of wrinkles as myself. That :gorgeous" guy that is envied by all will probably end up with a gut that made him look like he ate Kentucky, and patches of what used to be "great hair" missing from his shiny scalp.
You guys have all seen the movies, you know how they end. Those kids that get picked on and strive to be anything but noticed end up being rich and famous, and though the memories of high school may still be painful, their beautiful family and seven cars make it ok.
I have been to about seven schools in my life, and I have never been to one that is as cliquey as Zeeland. I walk down the hall and see gossip fumigating around the building, its sad. Reputations tarnished over nothing but accusations and assumptions. Kids standing in the busiest part of the hallway, too good to move out of the way.
So once again to you underclassmen, don’t waste your time trying to duplicate someone that could quite possible be the biggest jerk in the school. Instead, start your own path leading people away from the judgmental, hypocritical, snobby school that we are presently in.
Monday, May 10, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment